Wednesday, 18 March 2009

Legacy Industrial Strength Test Software

QTP & QC.

That's what prompted the phrase above in discussion with my colleague, the idea that these tools were 'industrial' scale heavyweight tools and due to the amount of time they've been around they are getting legacy. In my experience I still hear about these tools (obviously) but on the ground see them less and less.

Many times I get called in to help organisation with using the tools - because they bought them and use say the Test Case management module or no longer use QTP because the automation guy left.

What I'm seeing is more and more interest in lightweight, open source tools for test management and automation. Selenium, Watir, FIT/FitNesse being the usual candidates.

So the question is are the "Legacy Industrial Strength Test Software" tools days numbered? What's the next 1, 2, 3 years going to look like for tools?

2 comments: