Wednesday, 22 July 2009

Code Coverage with Test Cases?

It hasn't really struck me until now - Why do testers think of coverage in terms of code - why aren't we thinking of coverage in terms of what the system does or should do? i.e Behaviour?

Thinking in terms of what the system should do is why we're testing isn't it? Isn't that what the customer / user wants us to be making sure before they get the software? Isn't focusing on behaviour how we assure that UAT is a success?

Never in my career have I ever really done 'code coverage'. I've played with it, talked about it with developers, even helped define accaptable coverage levels but I've never run 'code coverage tools' and declared my tests cover xx% of code. The developers I've worked with have, I remember this being the way when I was at EA. They put together Unit Tests and Component Integration Tests, ran the tools or did-the-math and declared coverage at a certain %.

What I have done however is declared coverage of Requirements. I've analysed what Test Scenarios exist, things I would do with the software to demonstrate the Requirements had been delivered on (coded the right thing), then Test Cases to exercise the Scenarios (coded the thing right) and find those lovely bugs.

Hmmm.....

It's testing with a focus on Behaviour

Mark.

0 comments: