Thursday, 13 October 2011

Why I added Lisa Crispin and Gojko Adzic to Wikipedia

Wikipedia is an encyclopaedic store of knowledge about the world, the people and events that have shaped it in the past and are shaping it now. The wonderful thing about Wikipedia is it contains knowledge about groups in the world, one group is the software testing and development profession/industry. This is relevant because software testing and development is at the heart of how the modern world is being shaped. The world and even those things we send out of this world all run on software. I want you to realise the significance of this and the importance of software testing before I gone on…

We are in the computer age and it’s as historic a moment for the world as the steam age and industrial revolution was. Yet, are we recognising this and ensuring we capture our knowledge of those that are shaping it?

Software Testing People

If you look at Wikipedia there is a category called “Software Testing People” (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Software_testing_people) and it’s a pathetic list of 15. (16 as I’m there, my user page is labeled to appear). We rightly see James Bach and Cem Kaner. I recognise Rex Black, Boris Beizer and Brian Marick. The rest? Never heard of them and I question whether they are really ‘testers’, but that might be showing my lack of ‘education’.

That aside, are you telling me that’s all the people who have or are causing paradigm shifts in the way we think about software testing? In how we approach it and re-shape the profession? Can you tell I’m offended and getting precious about my beloved profession? .

That’s why I’ve added Lisa Crispin and Gojko Adzic, I’ll be adding Michael Bolton too when I get time, please go ahead and beat me too it! These people have literally affected the entire profession. They have on their own and in combination with others (and the test community) caused a paradigm shift in the way we think about and do software testing (and from it, development). They have been around for years, are known and respected globally. Will be quoted, emulated and recognised (along with Bach and Kaner) as thought leaders and pioneers for as long as this profession exists.

You bet they should have Wikipedia pages!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gojko_adzic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_Crispin

5 comments: