Friday, 3 February 2012

100 Hours of Testing practice

Just shy of the end of 2011 I started to do ‘100 Hours of Testing Practice’ prompted by a post from Phil Kirkham over at the Software Testing Club. Find his post here: http://www.softwaretestingclub.com/forum/topics/100-hours-of-testing-practice

First question - does 100 hours feel a lot or a little?

It’s an odd one, if you think about how we do on average 40 hour weeks in work then it’s not a lot. If you think about how much time you get to spend on your hobbies/pass times/interests then it’ll take more than a few weeks to get 100 hours in! In those terms 100 hours is a lot.

Either way, that’s the goal that was proposed and that I’m working too. 100 hours which I’ve not decided to dedicate fully to learning Ruby ‘stuff’. By that I mean the Ruby language of course, as I’ve defined it ‘beyond simple scripting, but also automation, frameworks and tools using Ruby.

I decided a few years ago that Java wasn’t the language for me, I did a formal course with the Open University as part of my degree. It was OK, but didn’t get me excited, far too verbose even if it is admittedly ubiquitous and probably a good language to learn career wise. (never say never and all that…). Ruby got me excited, it seemed very learnable like Python but more widely used.

The Blog Posts

Since Phil’s post was essentially an invitation to participate I decided to do so and share what I’ve been doing over at the STC. Each member has a blog space provided so I’ve been blogging my adventures there.

I’m currently at hour 22 of 100 and will be officially ¼ the way through early next week. So, does it feel a lot in reality? Well, yes actually. It’s taken a good few weeks to get this far and on the way I’ve learned a fair bit. I’ve also uncovered a lot I want to look at too.

This is a side benefit, the extent of my ‘view’ on what resources, sites, blogs, books there are has increased. So has my hit list of things to look at!

A little Git!

One other side benefit too is I set up a public Github repository for the scripts I’m creating. Not only is it’s sensible place to put scripts but it’s another tool I’m learning along the way.

Have a look at: https://github.com/MarkCTest/Script-Bucket

Why not join in the fun? Read Phil’s post and get started on your 100 hours, then blog over at STC to keep everyone involved and yourself motivated!

Have fun!

0 comments: